Answered By: Jim Robinson Last Updated: Apr 04, 2017 Views: 32
Answered By: Jim Robinson
Last Updated: Apr 04, 2017 Views: 32
Facets allow you to more precisely define your search. There are 2 types of facets:
- Pre-facets are filters that can be set before a search.
- When you select "All available collections", "Books, eBooks, Video, Audio", or "Database Articles" before searching, you are setting a pre-facet.
- Additionally, Books, eBooks, Video, Audio can be pre-faceted further by selecting a campus, ebooks only, or research guides to narrow your search.
- When searching from the library home page, the Full Text Online facet is applied automatically when searching Database Articles.
- Pre-facets can also be set in Advanced Search
- From the library home page, click Advanced Search
- Select "All available collections", "Books, eBooks, Video, Audio", or "Database Articles", just like in a Simple Search.
- If Books, eBooks, Video, Audio is selected, you may also define a Search Scope, including a specific campus, ebooks only, or research guides only, just like in a Simple Search.
- If Database Articles is selected, you can choose to search all available collections or EBSCO databases only, just like in a Simple Search.
- You can select specific fields to search, including title, author/creator, or subject
- Booleans can be added (AND, OR, NOT)
- Up to 7 Boolean lines can be added, but be careful because too many booleans may produce no results at all.
- More pre-facets can be set, including Resource Type, Language, or a Date Range.
- Post-facets, normally just referred to as facets, are filters that can be applied after a search.
- These facets appear on the left after a search. (On a mobile device, tap Filter search results)
- Facets only appear if there is at least one item matching that facet. For example, if there are no DVDs matching your search criteria, the DVD facet will not appear.
- Availability allows you to narrow your search to one or more of:
- Peer-reviewed Journals - Show only results from peer-reviewed journals.
- Full Text Online - Show only results with full-text available online.
- Available in the Library - Show only results that are in the library catalog. This includes physical items, ebooks, and streaming video.
- Resource Type allows you to narrow your search to a specific type of item, e.g., Books, DVDs, Online video.
- Creation Date allows you to select a date range when the item was created or published.
- Subject will create a list of subjects based on the full set of results, so this list will be different for every search.
- Author facets are also based on the full set of results, so this list will be different for every search.
- Journal Title facets are only available if you've included articles in your search. Books, eBooks, Video, Audio searches generally do not include journals.
- Collection facets show from which collections the search results were compiled. These include database vendor collections and local TCC collections.
- Classification LCC shows the Library of Congress Classifications that are available in the search results. TCC uses Library of Congress Classifications for cataloging items.
- Course Instructor facets show any instructors who may have placed any of the items in the search results on Course Reserve.
- Course Number and Name facets show any courses that may have items in the search results on Course Reserve.